Home | What's New! | Search | email me

African American
Contact Us
Court Cases
First Families
Land Patents
Lookup Volunteers
Newspaper Holdings
Past News
Photo Gallery
Tips for Research
Towns & Schools



Tips for Researching in Neshoba County ...

I've gotten numerous requests for guidance in researching ancestors in Neshoba. The following list is where I'd begin my research:

Talk to everyone in your family about what they know about the ancestors, keeping in mind that memories can fade and that some of their information is inaccurate. (Great Grandma was a full-blooded Indian or we came over on the Mayflower are two examples of information that is said over & over that is usually not true.) Write down what you've found out. Buy or download a free genealogy program to organize your information. Brother's Keeper is shareware and can be downloaded for free. This way all of your information is organized and can be emailed to someone easily.

Explore "Resources". In this section you will also find many links to great sites for beginners. 

Use ALL types of spellings when you look for records. Many times the spelling changed (Hawley to Holley) or the person writing down the information had trouble deciphering the script. Sometimes names are spelled so "screwy" that your best bet is just to go through the pages. The "s" looks like "f" in some old script, so Smith could look like Fith to a beginning transcriber.

Use the search engine on this web and others to locate surnames. 

Post a query on the query board. There are a number of different query boards including Surname Boards -Gen Forum  & County Boards. (They're listed in the Links section)

Join the email list and ask questions about your ancestors there. (I also make announcements to the list when I put new information on the Neshoba Web.)

Check census records in the county and in surrounding counties. The 1850 census records begin listing all of the family members and where each was born.

Check the Cemetery records. There are quite a few on my Neshoba pages. 

Check the funeral home listings. Many times people did not have money to buy a tombstone, but their remains were handled by an undertaker. You'll have to write to the library to find this out.

Check the Neshoba County library to see if they have any bibliographical information on the family you are searching for.

Check the birth, death and marriage records. Those may list parents names, etc. Get copies of these records by ordering them from the appropriate source.

Check the court records. It is possible that the courthouse has an index. If you find something of interest, try to order the record from the County Clerk. Also know that they are short-staffed and may not be able to fill your request. You may have to make a trip to Philadelphia or hire a researcher to get the information for you. 

Check the old newspapers. You may need to write one of the libraries to see if your family member's name is listed in the index.

If the ancestor was in the Civil War, order the records! They have a great deal of information in them! Also check the Civil War links and ask for a lookup from Tom Neely.

Don't take every piece of information someone sends you as gospel! Ask for sources! Verify information! Have an open mind! YOU could be mistaken!



I have a book OUR LINKS TO THE PAST 1833-1996 CEMETERIES OF NESHOBA COUNTY MS.  I am willing to do look-ups for people if they will give me as much information as they can on the person they are looking for who might be buried in Neshoba county MS 1833-1996; I cannot send them ALL the names of just one or more surnames. I do not have pictures, just lists and approximate locations of the cemeteries.
Janet Deans




Leake County Cemetery Book
The Dancing Rabbit Genealogical & Historical Society, the Leake County Mississippi Tombstone book.
The book normally sells for $65. You can pick it up from the folks in Carthage for that price, or you can pay another $5.00 for shipping.

You can order it by sending your payment (check only) to Dancing Rabbit Genealgoical & Historical Society, 114 E Franklin St, Carthage, MS 39051, 601-267-9034.

Your request should include you name, address, email address, and phone number, as well, of course, as your payment.





LYON LeFloris Lyon  
LYONS LeFloris Lyon  
POPE Hugh K. Higgins  
SHERROD LeFloris Lyon  




Site maintained by LeFloris Lyon - Copyright 2000-2016, All rights reserved


If you have questions or problems with this site, email the Web Master: LeFloris Lyon.

I am unable to do your personal research. I do not live in Neshoba County MS and do not have access to additional records.

Copyright 2016 All rights reserved.